Old Wine in a new Bottle

I was getting frustrated from Chrome asking me

Make page mobile-friendly

when visiting our own blog. So I started to look for alternative mobile friendly themes.

The final choice was: Pelican Attila Theme.

While rebuilding the blog from scratch I failed with our old approach Setting Up a Virtual Pelican Environment.

As of today we gathered some Docker knowhow and I decided to try a new way...

I started FROM a small Alpine based Python image: library/python.

All basic requirements we have with our blog software Pelican are listed in requirements.txt - as described in Requirements Files

pelican==3.7.1
markdown==2.6.8

This results in the following Dockerfile:

FROM python:3.3.6-alpine

MAINTAINER devop@datenkollektiv.de

WORKDIR /usr/src/app

ADD requirements.txt .

RUN pip install -r requirements.txt

Let's build a container capable of building our blog

$ docker build . -t datenkollektiv/pelican

Building the content once

$ docker run -it --rm -v "$PWD":/usr/src/app datenkollektiv/pelican pelican content

works as expected.

For development:

$ docker run -it --rm -v "$PWD":/usr/src/app datenkollektiv/pelican pelican --debug --autoreload

The preview works straight forward, too:

$ docker run -it --rm -p 8000:8000 -v "$PWD":/usr/src/app -w="/usr/src/app/output" datenkollektiv/pelican python -m pelican.server 8000

Verify the results at localhost:8000.

Et voilĂ : Old wine in new bottles: {devops blog}...

Show Comments